Quick and easy roasted beet recipe
Looking for a simple yet delicious recipe to make the most of your organic beets? Try this roasted beet salad with feta cheese and arugula.
By roasting the beets, you can preserve their color and flavor, making them a tasty addition to the tangy feta cheese and peppery arugula. The salad is topped with toasted pumpkin seeds for a satisfying crunch, and dressed with a homemade balsamic vinaigrette that is both sweet and savory. It's a perfect dish for a healthy and flavorful meal.
- Two bunches beets (about 4 lbs)
- ¾ cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- Six tablespoons of balsamic vinegar
- Two tablespoons local honey
- ½ small onion, thinly sliced
- 4 oz feta cheese, crumbled
- ½ cup packed arugula leaves or mesclun salad
- ¼ cup toasted pumpkin seeds
- Salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Scrub the beets and toss them with two tablespoons of olive oil and 1/4 teaspoon of salt.
- Place the beets in a large roasting pan with one tablespoon of water. à
- Cover the roasting pan and roast the beets until they're tender when pierced, which should take around 40 minutes. (The cooking time will vary depending on the size and type of beet, so check them earlier to avoid overcooking.)
- Remove the lid and let the beets cool.
- Once the beets are cool, peel them by slipping the skins off with your fingers. Slice the beets into wedges and set them aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the remaining olive oil, apple cider vinegar, honey, and thinly sliced red onion.
- Add the roasted beets to the bowl and stir to coat them in the dressing.
- Cover the bowl and refrigerate the salad for at least an hour to let the flavors meld together.
- Serve the roasted beet salad chilled and enjoy!
Roasting beets is an easy and delicious way to enjoy this nutritious vegetable. Whether you're serving them as a side dish or adding them to a salad, roasted beets are sure to add color and flavor to any plate!
For other beet recipes, check out our Melted chocolate beet cake